Sunday, February 8, 2009

Call Me Mellow Yellow

"Every color we see makes us respond and feel a different way. To sit in yellow room feels different and affects one differently than if they were sitting in a yellow room. Regardless of shade the color yellow holds certain unchangeable properties. For example, yellow is a happy color. It promotes happiness and joy. A person who has depression would benefit from any given shade of yellow because of those properties. Yellow is a positive, warm color. Yellow can make the beholder feel both positive and warm. Yellow is also an energizing color which makes the beholder feel energized when surrounded by it." -Home Interior Decorating

My new apartment is yellow except for the bathroom, which is blue. Now, when i think of yellow, it's one of those colors that i don't really THINK about. I'm not a yellow person, i don't own anything yellow...but when i stepped into my soon-to-be new apartment, i smiled. Everything about it was perfect, it was exactly what i was looking for. It allows me so much room to decorate and come up with ideas that get me excited to jump in head first once my stuff is all there.
We get the key this Tuesday. I have 5 boxes packed (movies and books) because the lease on our Vancouver apartment isn't through till the end of March, we don't have to rush things, we do however, have to pay rent on 2 places in one month.
I saved my tax return from last year to ensure that we would finally be able to move to Portland, each time we tried since moving to Vancouver had been a failure. It's funny the way things fall together in the end, makes it feel like it's really meant to happen this time around.

History:
Jon lived in Portland when we met...6 years ago. See, we've been friends for years. Two years ago in December we became a couple. Jon has a daughter named Della Simone who is 7 now, I've known her since she was about 1. He'd had her from a previous marriage shortly before we met and became friends. I was about 16-17 years old. I'm now 24, he is 32.
He moved to Vancouver to be with me shortly after we became a couple. I wanted to move to Portland but finances were a problem so my best friend who I was moving with suggested we move inbetween where we were (Kelso) and Portland...we settled on Vancouver. Some, or most people call it Vantucky...it's full of asshole, yuppy, stripmall-shopping douchebags...not to label anyone or anything. ;) There just really isn't many people like me around here except for a few very good friends who also moved from Longview/Kelso to Vancouver because it's somewhat cheaper than Portland but bigger than the town we came from.
Our first roomate ended up leaving and moving back to tiny-town hell...and we didn't have the money to move to Portland yet. About a month or two later another one of my friends came to stay with us, off the lease, just to get out of that town. Eventually, she tried moving back to be with her boyfriend but that didn't work out...she now lives in Portland. :)

Present:
NOW that brings us kind of up-to-date. I'm not living with girls anymore. My best guy friend however, does live with us. His legal name is John...with an 'h' but everyone calls him Fred and has for years and years...so Fred is his name and he is made of magic and noodles. Fred had moved back to tiny town hell from Bellingham and we took him in and fed him delicious foods and keep a supply of yummy beer and vodka and whiskey...he is moving to Portland with us and i am so happy that i dance. He is the awesome and we are all goooood friends. Just the other night we went bowling and it became a whisky-fueled shitstorm with big heavy balls being thrown around...i kinda wish i had pictures. That was after we went to the sushi restaurant Eastland and ate dumplings, sushi and miso soups.

So, yeah...i guess none of that really had anything to do with my yellow apartment but i felt it necessary to put up a brief history of my current life. I've never really said it before but i guess i would be considered a "stepmom" which is weird. I tend not to label my relationship any other way than i have a boyfriend with a daughter. Me and stepmom in the same sentence do not sound right. I really have no say in the development of Della, i'm just kind of there to hang out and play games with. I don't know if i really influence her in any way, i guess time would tell on that one.
She knows we're moving and i think she'll really like the new place a lot. I told her about it after she commented on having to get used to a new place, and how she was finally used to the apartment we're in now. I told her about the wood floors and how the walls were painted yellow, she loves yellow so i think she'll be excited to finally see it. She lives in Portland with her mom and stepdad. We only have her overnight once a week and Jon hangs out with her at her place 2 other days after she gets out of school, but once we move to Portland i think she'll be over at our place more because we'll be close enough that most of their time together won't be in a car.

If you sat through all the dribble, congrats...i just realized how boring this must have sounded...but i guess the "history" post is necessary...gimme a break i started writing almost as soon as i woke up and i havn't even eaten yet...i'm really hungry now.

XOXO <3
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment